An Overview of Motorcycle Insurance

As with cars, motorcycles must be licensed, registered, and meet insurance requirements in the state of Texas. The minimum requirement to legally drive your motorcycle is liability insurance coverage. The following are other types of motorcycle insurance you can add to your policy: 

Bodily Injury Coverage

This typically covers the injuries of the policyholder and passenger. 

Personal Injury Protection (PIP)

This typically covers medical payments, lost wages, funeral costs of the policyholder, passenger, and driver of the policyholder’s motorcycle. 

Property Damage Liability

This typically covers damages to another party’s property due to you or someone you permitted to drive your motorcycle. 


This usually covers damage to your motorcycle regardless of who was at-fault resulting from a collision by another vehicle, motorcycle flipping over, or an object.


This is insurance coverage for damage due to something other than a collision, including vandalism, riots, earthquakes, floods, windstorms, animal contact, and more. 

Underinsured and Uninsured Motorist Coverage

This covers motorcycle damage and bodily harm due to an underinsured or uninsured driver.


This is a catch-all situation for other important things needed due to damages to your motorcycle, such as a possible lease/loan gamp, theft of your motorcycle, towing your vehicle, and a rental car. 

With each type of motorcycle insurance coverage listed above, there are limitations to coverage and other important details. So, for more information about motorcycle insurance in the state of Texas, regardless if it is Desoto, TX or Arlington, TX, it will make sense to contact a reliable and proven insurance agent, and Don Atwell & Associates are the ones to turn to. Located in Desoto, TX, Don Atwell & Associates has been serving this and surrounding areas for many years. Contact our team today.