What auto insurance is required in Texas

Technically, Texas doesn’t require its drivers to have auto insurance. What the state does require is that drivers show proof they could pay for any claim from an accident they cause. The easiest way to do this is with auto insurance, but you don’t have to take the easy way. At Don Atwell & Associates in Desoto, TX we have been serving the South Dallas area for over 30 years. We provide customized insurance solutions for our customers which gives you exactly what you need. 

The requirements for liability coverage in Texas are 30/60/25. The $30,000 covers medical bills and injury to one person in an accident you cause with all injuries topping out at $60,000. Property damage is covered for $25,000. This is called basic coverage and while it seems a reasonable amount of money it may not be adequate if you have considerable assets. 

In Texas and just about every other state, if you have an auto loan, or you lease your vehicle, you will be required to carry comprehensive coverage and collision coverage. This protects your vehicle from damage or complete destruction. 

While the state may not require that you have more than liability coverage, common sense will tell you that you need to protect your vehicle if you don’t have the finances to easily repair or replace your vehicle. By covering your vehicle with comprehensive, which is for events beyond your control and collision which is for accidents you are responsible for, you can make sure that when you need your vehicle, you will have it. 

When you need to talk about your auto insurance or get your policy reviewed, the experienced independent agents at Don Atwell & Associates in Desoto, TX will be here to help out. Stop into the office or give us a call for a no-obligation quote. 

Three things to know about filing an auto insurance claim

If you ever end up in an auto accident, you’re going to need to file a claim on your auto insurance policy. At Don Atwell & Associates, we recognize how important it is for clients to understand what they need to do to file a claim on their auto insurance policy. We offer auto insurance to motorists in the Desoto, TX area.

The following are three things that motorists need to know about filing an auto insurance claim. 

You’ll have to get in touch with your auto insurance provider as soon as possible.

You need to ensure everyone’s safety and security right after the accident. You also should make sure that any injured individuals get the medical care they need. However, after these things are taken care of, you need to get in touch with your insurance company.

Don’t waste any time contacting your auto insurance provider to file a claim. The sooner you get the claim process started, the better off you will be. 

It would be best if you considered having a police report filed.

A police report can provide essential information regarding a car accident. While you might not need a police report in a minor fender bender, any more serious accident should involve a police report. A police report is especially important if someone was injured in the accident. 

Collecting evidence and details from the accident site is a good idea.

It’s a good idea to take a picture of the accident site. You also need to get the contact and insurance details of any other motorist involved in the accident. 

Are you interested in learning more about the auto insurance claim process in Desoto, TX? We’re here to assist you at Don Atwell & Associates. Contact us to learn more about how you can meet your auto insurance needs.