What auto insurance is required in Texas

Technically, Texas doesn’t require its drivers to have auto insurance. What the state does require is that drivers show proof they could pay for any claim from an accident they cause. The easiest way to do this is with auto insurance, but you don’t have to take the easy way. At Don Atwell & Associates in Desoto, TX we have been serving the South Dallas area for over 30 years. We provide customized insurance solutions for our customers which gives you exactly what you need. 

The requirements for liability coverage in Texas are 30/60/25. The $30,000 covers medical bills and injury to one person in an accident you cause with all injuries topping out at $60,000. Property damage is covered for $25,000. This is called basic coverage and while it seems a reasonable amount of money it may not be adequate if you have considerable assets. 

In Texas and just about every other state, if you have an auto loan, or you lease your vehicle, you will be required to carry comprehensive coverage and collision coverage. This protects your vehicle from damage or complete destruction. 

While the state may not require that you have more than liability coverage, common sense will tell you that you need to protect your vehicle if you don’t have the finances to easily repair or replace your vehicle. By covering your vehicle with comprehensive, which is for events beyond your control and collision which is for accidents you are responsible for, you can make sure that when you need your vehicle, you will have it. 

When you need to talk about your auto insurance or get your policy reviewed, the experienced independent agents at Don Atwell & Associates in Desoto, TX will be here to help out. Stop into the office or give us a call for a no-obligation quote.