Home Insurance in Texas
Home insurance will protect you from financial ruin if your property or home is damaged or destroyed by a peril your policy covers, such as a storm or fire.
Do You Need Home Insurance in Texas?
While no state law requires you to have home insurance, you can still be required to have insurance if you owe any money on the home. Even if you don’t need to have a policy, it’s a good idea to protect one of your most significant assets.
Types of Home Coverage in Texas
An agent at Don Atwell & Associates in Desoto, TX can help you come up with a policy that will suit your needs, but many policies will include six different coverages.
- Dwelling Coverage: With this coverage, if your house is destroyed or damaged by a peril, then your policy gives you protection.
- Personal Property Coverage: This pays for your clothing, furniture, and other items you own if they are damaged, destroyed, or stolen.
- Other Structures Coverage: If you have other structures on the property that are not attached to the home, such as a fence or storage shed, you will have coverage under this.
- Loss of Use Coverage: This coverage will pay for any additional living expenses you have if you need to move away from your home while it’s being repaired. These additional living expenses can include food, rent, and other costs you wouldn’t have to spend money on if you were still able to be in your home.
- Personal Liability Coverage: This pays for lost wages, medical bills, and costs for those who you are responsible for injuring or a person’s property. You are liable for damages.
- Medical Payments Coverage: This pays for medical bills for those who are hurt on your property. It can also pay for injuries away from home, such as a dog bite.
You will be protected from different risks. Many policies will cover lightning, fire, theft, vandalism, explosions, or windstorms, but won’t cover flooding, termites, or earth movement.
Contact Don Atwell & Associates in Desoto, TX to get a quote on home insurance.